Re: Initial questions, thoughts & suggestions

From: Magic Hat (magic_ha..ac.com)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 13:38:36 EDT

    Hi guys,

    Petite Abeille speaking :-)

    Cayenne is also on my "to do" list so I might as well just jump in.

    I haven't look at it much so far, but the time is near.

    On Monday, September 2, 2002, at 06:46 , Andrus wrote:

    >> - am I right that there is currently no validation suport (as in
    >> validateXForY) or did I just overlook something in the APIs?
    >
    > You are right. It is not there. We have no specific plans for it yet,
    > so there is lots of room for discussion.

    I have to implement some validation for my own needs. I was thinking to
    basically clone NSValidation. If you don't see any major flow with that
    mechanism I can contribute it to Cayenne.

    > Using string entity names adds another level of abstraction. For
    > instance you can have the same class mapped to more than one entity.
    > This is not necessarily a good thing of course. So I tend to think that
    > your suggestion may be the way to go.

    I'm with Holger on this one: be as explicit as possible.

    > Besides mapping directly to class as opposed to abstract string name
    > opens the possibility of mapping arbitrary classes, not inheriting from
    > CayenneDataObject - something that is really important.

    Here we are talking :-)

    > I totally agree. Originally we did not implement any notifications,
    > delegates and such, because the flow of events in the access layer was
    > changing all the time. Now the overall flow seems to be rather stable,
    > and it is the right time to start designing such things. I am not ready
    > to suggest anything at the moment, but we need to start this work.

    I built a little NSNotificationCenter clone if you guys are interested.
    It does distributed notification as well.

    Cheers,

    PA.