Re: cayenne-cvs vs. eclipse

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 16:30:26 EDT

    At 10:02 PM 9/2/2002 +0200, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:

    >So I'm trying to get to grips with the repository and source tree.
    >Checkout from SF and running ant to build into /dist/ worked fine. Are
    >there specific reasons why the whole tree is not set up as 'Java project'
    >and hence visible in the Package explorer? I realize the need for ant
    >(dist builds etc) but how do you edit source or run individual tests?
    >I tried to set up a peer project but eclipse won't let me poke around in
    >other workspace projects..
    >
    >Holger

    Umm, Eclipse integration is a grey area and I welcome suggestions on that.
    This structure was created before we started looking at Eclipse (I used
    NetBeans that sucks big time).

    For myself I setup an Eclipse Java project, pointing to "cayenne" folder as
    the project tree top. I let eclipse discover source folders : cayenne/src,
    cayenne/tests and (optionally) cayenne/performance, and then manually add
    all JAR's in cayenne/otherlib in the Libraries tab. So editing the source
    is not a problem.

    After that I build and run tests from command line.

    # ant
    # $CAYENNE_HOME/bin/runtests.sh

    ($CAYENNE_HOME is set to dist)

    Right now the test script runs all tests at once. I had some ugly
    property-based implementation to run single test cases, but it is no good
    anyway.

    One of the reasons for command line unit tests was the need to switch
    databases via a login panel. I guess if we just dump the shell script and
    use some local configuration file, the whole JUnit structure can be
    simplified (AllTests.java can be removed for instance). We can use JUnit
    ant task that I like a lot, and make it simple to run individual tests.

    Andrus