Re: cayenne-cvs vs. eclipse

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 04:47:50 EDT

    I wrote:
    > Andrus wrote:
    > > Umm, Eclipse integration is a grey area and I welcome suggestions on that.
    >
    > this approach works, kind of. I'll try to come up with better setup
    > tomorrow, as far as I can tell a little rearranging of the tree could just
    > make things work out for both ant and eclipse.

    OK, here we go. I reorganized the tree for my own CVS repository so that
    the whole thing cleanly checks in, out and builds in eclipse.

    - the most significant change is moving the source files into their own
    subdirectory 'java' (as with other Apache projects); this prevents
    duplicate resources (build.xml) in the new /build/classes output folder.

    - the old src is now called src/cayenne, with its .java files in
    src/cayenne/java; performance and test also moved into src, and got their
    individual java source dirs. These are used as eclipse source folders. Why
    not a single unified tree? Good question - separating core sources from
    unit testing suites and other stuff (examples..) sounds like a good idea
    to me.

    - the new structure also allows us to move the old src/resources/(images,
    gui.properties) into src/cayenne/java/org/cayenne/gui, so that rebuilding
    the editor doesn't require unnecesary copying of resources - just run it
    from eclipse, this is much faster and works fine, except for the
    non-expanded version strings in gui.properties, but this should not matter
    for development. Alternatively the whole resources folder could move into
    java/org/cayenne/gui; this would require adapting
    CayenneAction.RESOURCE_PATH - IMHO more a matter of taste.

    - jar references point into /otherlib; there are no outbound references,
    so checkout and rebuild should work for anybody else with eclipse as well.

    One definite problem is the JavaCC pass for generating the wocompat parser
    classes. I admit I had to cheat on this - I just removed the .cvsignore
    and checked in the generated classes. Do we really have to rebuild them
    every time? The .plist format doesn't change that often, and as long as
    there's a way (non-default) to trigger ant to re-create them from the .jj
    this shouldn't matter. There is no good way to have generated source in
    eclipse source folders and have it automatically picked up; this comes up
    often in the eclipse newsgroup and is by design as far as I understand.

    So far I have not started to convert the ant files to use the new paths, I
    wanted to ask for feedback on these ideas first. I could send you the
    zipped tree for inspection, so that you can import it into your own
    eclipse and see how it works. Since I'm not too familiar with ant and the
    finer details of the build rules I could use some help there..

    Holger