Re: "Strings are evil!"

From: Magic Hat (magic_ha..ac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 08:32:33 EDT

    On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 12:34 , Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I need to think about it some more. This whole proxy stuff is very cool
    > indeed, but I am concerned about the performance - a simple "get"
    > method will initiate a long chain of method calls.

    Well, is it not the case already? Adding a Proxy will add ome more
    method: the resolution of the Proxy method by the handler.

    > Well... simple property introspection has the same flaw I guess (this
    > was one of the reasons CayenneDataObjects are done as HashMaps
    > internally).

    Sure. Using reflaction is bound to be slower then direct method call.
    But the question is: does it really matter in the grand schema of
    things?-)

    > As far as Cayenne is concerned though, having an ability to look up an
    > arbitrary object in the object store via a static method is already
    > more than 50% of the implementation of "arbitrary class persistence",
    > no matter if we use proxies or just property introspection. So this is
    > the way go anyways.

    That's great. And yes the two "problems" are totally separated issues.
    I'm simply looking for a way to leverage strong typing and reduce the
    need for KVC based access from the outside of the framework. Having a
    lightweight but strongly typed access to one's data while protecting the
    generic nature of the framework seems like a big win.

    Cheers,

    PA.