Re: Modelization: the missing the piece?

From: Magic Hat (magic_ha..ac.com)
Date: Wed Sep 04 2002 - 13:54:19 EDT

    On Wednesday, September 4, 2002, at 07:02 , Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > [taking this off webobjects-dev to cayenne-devel, since it is no longer
    > about WO]

    Hihi :-)

    > Igor Clark writes:
    >> Hi PA, Andrus, I think PA's "third way" would be of significant help
    >> particularly in the type of project which I'm working on, an ASP-model
    >> approach. This way you could just define your object model in your own
    >> terms and have the framework do the rest of the work for you.
    >
    > I guess we can start realistically talking about this feature once we
    > implement simpler Cayenne DataObjects, that does not require a special
    > superclass. There has been some discussion about it recently:
    > http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2002/09/0012.html

    Yes. But I think we will still need at least a "marker interface" to
    discriminate between persistent object and other.

    >> I think it could become a good addition to CayenneModeler but also to
    >> Cayenne in general, ie make sure that the API is available
    >> programmatically so you can dynamically generate database schema, java
    >> code and mappings automatically. Also index generation is something I
    >> feel would be a great addition to EOSchemaGeneration & by extension
    >> Cayenne...
    >
    > Sure. GUI will just call on core API to perform its functions. Just
    > like now we have a core implementation of source code generator in
    > org.objectstyle.cayenne.gen. This is being called by different front
    > ends - GUI and Ant.

    Another thing to emphasize is the "index generation" part. I found that
    invaluable. See attachment for an old implementation of mine. I think I
    must have a more up to date version somewhere, but that would give you a
    broad idea about what is involved.

    In any case, regarding modelization, I will try to put together a quick
    and dirty "proof of concept" tool and see how it goes.

    PA.