Re: Question about modus operandi

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 11:05:23 EDT

    Andrus wrote:
    > At 02:42 PM 9/21/2002 +0200, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    >
    > >A question on SF CVS: would it be possible to be notified about CVS
    >
    > +1, but I'd probably setup a separate list to make it easier to filter
    > commits from discussion and avoid archiving commit messages and to clearly
    > separate discussion from automatic messages. I would probably even use
    > SF-based mailing list.

    goody! how do we get this set up? I'm not too familiar with all SF
    services, just lurker & subscriber.

    > >Also, should improvements or suggestions always go via the SF tracker or
    > >is this more appropriate for bug reports and 'major' items?
    >
    > So far task trackers have been used for what they are - to track "approved"
    > suggestions so that we don't forget them (esp. long term features). I guess
    > we could organize this better and open a tracker item after a feature is
    > discussed on this list and gets some kind of consensus approval. Of course

    OK. Makes sense for bigger changes but for one-line quickies it probably
    takes longer to open the request, assign it to me, fix the problem and
    close the feature than to just do it. :)
    I'll start thinking about it more.

    > "PM" features of trackers like deadlines are probably of lesser importance
    > since we are OS after all.

    yup.

    > Bug tracker is separate and is used exclusively for bug tracking(even if a
    > developer finds and fixes a bug himself).

    yup.

    > Another separate thing that I am using is a
    > doc/release-notes/RELEASE-NOTE-xyz.txt. Once something new gets
    > implemented, I'd drop a note there, so that preparing an overview of the
    > new release takes no time at all. I wonder if this should be combined with
    > Task Trackers?

    If you really want to make sure you don't miss anything for the release
    notes you can use WinCVS to automagically generate a ChangeLog; I've used
    this in the past and it's really handy. There is also a standalone Perl
    utility that does this called cvs2cl (http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl)

    Holger