Re: Question about modus operandi

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 14:50:30 EDT

    At 05:05 PM 9/21/2002 +0200, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    >Andrus wrote:
    > > At 02:42 PM 9/21/2002 +0200, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    > >
    > > >A question on SF CVS: would it be possible to be notified about CVS
    > >
    > > +1, but I'd probably setup a separate list to make it easier to filter
    > > commits from discussion and avoid archiving commit messages and to clearly
    > > separate discussion from automatic messages. I would probably even use
    > > SF-based mailing list.
    >
    >goody! how do we get this set up? I'm not too familiar with all SF
    >services, just lurker & subscriber.

    We need to start a separate mailing list using their Web GUI, and change
    some file under CVSROOT to send mails on commit to this list. I don't
    promise to do it immediately, but I will take a look.

    > > So far task trackers have been used for what they are - to track "approved"
    > > suggestions so that we don't forget them (esp. long term features). I guess
    > > we could organize this better and open a tracker item after a feature is
    > > discussed on this list and gets some kind of consensus approval. Of course
    >
    >OK. Makes sense for bigger changes but for one-line quickies it probably
    >takes longer to open the request, assign it to me, fix the problem and
    >close the feature than to just do it. :)
    >I'll start thinking about it more.

    I agree that we shouldn't waste much time on that. I suggest we use *Task*
    trackers only if a person doing an actual cayenne task feels like
    registering this task. So this will be optional and up to the developer(s)
    involved in each case.

    Of course bug and patch trackers should stay more formal, since those
    involve outside users.

    > > Another separate thing that I am using is a
    > > doc/release-notes/RELEASE-NOTE-xyz.txt. Once something new gets
    > > implemented, I'd drop a note there, so that preparing an overview of the
    > > new release takes no time at all. I wonder if this should be combined with
    > > Task Trackers?
    >
    >If you really want to make sure you don't miss anything for the release
    >notes you can use WinCVS to automagically generate a ChangeLog; I've used
    >this in the past and it's really handy. There is also a standalone Perl
    >utility that does this called cvs2cl (http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl)

    Hmm, never used that. I wonder how efficient this would be in cases like
    our current change of the whole CVS structure?

    Andru