Re: Question about modus operandi

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 16:39:58 EDT

    Andrus wrote:
    > (mail notifications & tracker use)

    I fully agree.

    > >notes you can use WinCVS to automagically generate a ChangeLog; I've used
    > >this in the past and it's really handy. There is also a standalone Perl
    > >utility that does this called cvs2cl (http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl)
    >
    > Hmm, never used that. I wonder how efficient this would be in cases like
    > our current change of the whole CVS structure?

    Well..I just tried. The WinCVS macro is written in Tcl (yuck!) but takes
    ~2-3 minutes, which is mostly net lag and log download time. I'll send you
    the output so you can have a look at it.
    I killed the Perl cvs2cl thing after 15 minutes (!), after which it had
    generated only _half_ the log. Now how's that for inefficient?
    Google also found a Python cvs2hist.py script from GhostScript, but its
    output is all wrong. The most surprising and probably promising thing
    turned out to be right under my nose: ant 1.5 has a new task CvsChangelog,
    which generates XML and can be formatted via XSLT; a sample stylesheet is
    included. See:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/manual/CoreTasks/changelog.html
    This certainly looks like the best option.

    Holger