Stored Procedures Support

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 16:57:25 EDT

    Misha, and everybody,

    I am working on a design for the stored procedure support in Cayenne.
    Originally this feature came out of Misha's need to use Cayenne and still be
    able to access existing business logic that was implemented in the stored
    procedures. But now I think more and more that it is very important to fill
    in this hole in the mapping support in general.

    Anyway. I started working on the design recently, and there is a few things
    I wanted to ask Misha (who uses sp's daily) and others.

    1. Do you think we can assume that an ObjEntity is always mapped to a
    DbEntity (i.e. a table or a view) even when we are using stored procedure
    for "read/save/delete"? I suspect this is going to be the easiest approach
    and would be completely based on current mapping practices. If this works,
    we will be able to use stored procedures and/or raw SQL for most object
    operations - totally transparent to the object layer.

    2. Misha (or anyone), could you post some use cases of how this is normally
    used (I was lucky enough to avoid using stored proc with O/R). Along the
    lines of "Class Customer maps to table CUSTOMER, to read it we use the proc
    with the following parameters ... and the following logic .... To update, we
    use ...".

    Any ideas?

    Andrus