Project Structure Upgrade

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 00:05:42 EDT

    I just switched CayenneModeler to use "project" package that provides file
    operations independent from GUI (and in a "transactional" fashion). This
    fixes a number of bugs related to files not being fully synchronized with
    each other, and most importantly - eliminates the need to explicitly
    specify the location for each file. File name is now derived from the
    *name* of a DataMap or a DataNode. This required a few minor changes to the
    project files format. Summary of format changes:

    1. cayenne.xml now includes a project file version (right now - 1.0), to
    make easier any upgrades in the future.

    2. Cayenne "projects" would try to enforce certain naming conventions for
    the driver and data map files (node-name.driver.xml, map-name.map.xml).

    3. When opening "old" cayenne project in the modeler, Modeler would prompt
    for an upgrade. Just click yes - all necessary file renaming will be done.

    4. "Old" projects should be still compatible with the runtime, but using
    GUI would require an update.

    I am still fixing minor glitches, but the main goal - removing file
    maintenance from GUI - has been achieved. I guess now it might be easier to
    write Modeler alternatives. Eclipse plugin, anyone? ;-)

    Andrus