Re: deployment options

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 15:49:08 EST

    Craig Miskell writes:
    > module names should be fairly unique anyway
    > (perhaps a recommendation in the documentation to store the xyz.somext in
    > the "package" with the DataObject classes so that there is even less
    > chance of conflict?)

    Yeah, this is a good idea.

    As for customizing deployment, we just need to define what needs to be
    customized. How about this:

    1. DataDomain becomes a main deployment unit. It links all the relevant
    information together. All we need to add is a way to import DataMaps from a
    module.

    2. Just like now, a project may have multiple "domains".

    3. We introduce a concept of a "default" domain (I had it before the first
    release, but it "got lost" along the way). If a project has only a single
    domain, it is always default.

    4. Default domain can be specified as a system property:

    java -Dcayenne.domain.default=production com.foo.MyApp

    This way you can customize *every* deployment aspect by having a separate
    domain for it. Things easily customizable are:
    * DataSourceFactory
    * factory-specific settings
    * adapter class

    [This doesn't solve password security issues, unless JNDI is used.]

    Having an "autodetect" adapter is possible for the driver-based nodes
    (checking for the list of known driver implementations or parsing DB URL). I
    have no idea how to do this for JNDI connections though. I guess we can
    implement a partial "autodetection" mechanism for DataNodes that have no
    adapter selected:

    node.setAdapter(DataSourceFactory.guessAdapter());

    Andrus