log4j... nasty gotcha

From: Craig Miskell (cmiskel..lbatross.co.nz)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 19:23:41 EST

    Hi,
            Just found a nasty gotcha with log4j. I was turned on DEBUG at
    one
    stage. Worked fine. Then I wanted to go back to WARN level. I set the
    level to WARN, and it kept giving me DEBUG level. Multiple
    builds/playing around later, I finally found that I had a single space
    after WARN, but before the end of line. Log4J doesn't strip whitespace
    (maybe it should... I might bug them about that), and it sees level
    "WARN ", doesn't know what that is, and defaults to DEBUG.

    Very hard to discover why it is happening, hence this e-mail in the
    hopes of saving somebody else some time.

    Craig