Re: Cayenne documentation: dependencies

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 23:36:17 EST

    Hi Dirk,

    I know that you were going to look to our unit tests. Please be aware that
    I am currently doing some rework to get rid of login panel for tests and
    make them run from Ant instead of shell script. So lets coordinate our
    actions in this area.

    At 05:16 AM 11/8/2002 +0100, Dirk Olmes wrote:
    >While trying to get my first steps done I noticed that the documentation
    >states in the section 2.4 that the cayenne-nodeps.jar would need
    >
    >- velocity
    >- oro
    >- log4j
    >
    >While integrating cayenne-nodeps.jar into my project I noticed that you
    >would actyally also need the apache commons for cayenne to work.

    Velocity (just like cayenne) comes in two flavors - standalone or bundled
    with other stuff. "Other stuff" includes needed commons packages
    (commons-collections, ...). If standalone version is used, then all the
    dependencies must be installed manually (I would go with bundled - much
    easier).

    Also if you use CVS to check out Cayenne, all needed libraries are in
    cayenne/otherlib, but of course not all of them are included with deployment.

    >BTW: do you really need velocity for cayenne deployment or is it used only
    >for the generation of java classes?

    It is needed for two things:

    1. Docs generation from XML (not related to deployment - Cayenne
    development only)
    2. Java class generation (both GUI & Ant)

    So you may get away without Velocity on deployment server (unless classes
    are generated as a part of deployment from Ant - I am doing this a lot).

    >Maybe the documentation could be a little bit more specific about which jars
    >are needed for development/deployment.

    Yeah, there is lots of room for improvement ;-). We will keep this in mind.
    Patches are welcomed too.

    Andrus