Next steps [Was Re: Flattened relationship support]

From: Craig Miskell (cmiskel..lbatross.co.nz)
Date: Sat Nov 16 2002 - 21:25:53 EST

    > >Now, what's next??? :-)
    >
    > Well, like with any OpenSource development, the best motivation is a
    > personal need. So the first question is "What else do you want to see in
    > Cayenne?"
    >
    > In case we have some synergy, here is my TODO list for Beta:

    > 1. Add support for bare DataMap projects (this thread plus our offline
    > discussion:
    > http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-devel/2002/10/0030.html ),
    > including importing external DataMaps to cayenne.xml in the Modeler.
    Now that sounds fun. I can't do this during work... we won't be needing
    it for months, and this project is doing the XP thing, so if we don't need
    it now, we dont' do it now. But I have some spare time
    afterwork/weekends, so I'll start putting together a plan for how to
    attack this.

    > In the more distant future (after 1.0 final) I really want to continue
    > improving the modeler. Add wizards to map existing classes (and add support
    > for arbitrary persistent classes), add GUI database operations abilities
    > (like fetch data for entity, etc.), add project life cycle synchronization,
    > etc...
    I'd like to see an eclipse modeller plugin, with class generation tied
    directly into an eclipse project. But that's just me, and I don't have
    the resources to do it just yet. (Cant' justify it during work time, and
    my machine at home struggles along just running eclipse, let alone running
    an embedded eclipse for debugging a plugin :-( )