Tip: using jikes without modifying ant scripts

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Mon Nov 25 2002 - 13:52:56 EST

    Using jikes for compiling is not only much faster than javac, it also
    gives much better error and warning messages. So how can you set the
    required build property without modifying each and every ant build script?
    Easy:

    - UNIX
    Create /etc/ant.conf with a single line:
    ANT_OPTS=-Dbuild.compiler=jikes

    - Windows
    Open the System Control Panel 'System', create a new environment variable:
    name: ANT_OPTS
    value: -Dbuild.compiler=jikes

    In both cases jikes has to be on the executable path, and you're done.

    I realize this might be obvious to people who know ant inside out, but I'm
    just getting comfy with it and thought I'd share this, since at least one
    other person with ant experience in my office found this helpful as well.
    I guess it's often overlooked.

    -h