Re: My local Cayenne changes

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Sat Jan 04 2003 - 00:21:35 EST

    > Using opaque database mechanisms for the primary key generation was
    > intentionally "overlooked" in Cayenne. The reason being a problem of
    > retrieving the value, that was just assigned to the inserted row, back
    > into the object on the Java side. This is absolutely essential for the O/R.

    The baseline is absolutely simlpe: it will never ever work.
    The purpose of a primary key is to uniquely identify a database row. If
    you don't know the PK, you don't know the identity of that row.

    Suppose you insert a new row into the database with colums a, b and c.
    If you just select from table where a = <value of a> and b = <value of
    b> and c = <value of c> you can't be sure that there isn't more than one
    row in the DB with these values. How do you decide which one is the
    newly created row?

    Even worse: this problem does not only apply to O/R mapping. How would
    you handle such a problem when programming plain JDBC?

    -dirk