Re: Event handling progress

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Jan 22 2003 - 15:25:28 EST

    >> 3. [Unfixed] I don't remember if we discussed this before, but
    >> EventHandler (or rather its internal collections) is totally
    >> unsynchronized. This really
    >
    > I mentioned it shortly - I didn't yet review everything but essentially
    > all of EventManager must be completely synchronized, simply because all
    > hell will break loose otherwise. Will do it tomorrow or so.

    I guess total synchronization (making every method "synchronized") will be
    a good first step, though eventually we will need a more fine-grained
    control. We don't want the whole applications to deadlock because some
    notification caused heavy processing in the listener. So I guess a local
    list of listeners can be built in the synchronized block, while the actual
    notifications should happen outside of it.

    > Unfortunately I have absolutely no idea about how to test this reliably.

    Yes. This is doable, but as we all remember from the RequestQueueTst
    experience, this can be a real pain.

    Andrus