Re: Merging Cayenne-Andriy with Cayenne :-)

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 07:07:55 EST

    [sorry for rehashing an old topic - just catching up]

    Andrus wrote:
    > I just had a chance to evaluate some (but not all) of Andriy's changes.
    > (snip - cannot say much about topics 1+2)
    > 3. Database automated regression testing suite for Cayenne. I haven't
    > looked into this code yet. Andriy, please fill free to fill us in on that.

    I have to say that randomly creating DB schemas and then reengineering
    them is probably the weirdest, but also coolest thing I've ever heard of.
    Welcome Andriy! :-)
    Keeping this regression suite in parallel to the regular unit tests is a
    very good idea. A simple 'regression' ant target would be nice to have,
    later.

    > 4. Customizing primary key generation. Right now things like sequence names
    > and lookup tables are hardcoded per adapter. For instance for Oracle,
    > Cayenne would do a "pk_entity_name". If there is a need to use custom PK
    > generation objects (for instance on existing database), it has to be
    > configured in Cayenne per entity.

    I might be missing something but one thing I'd like to see is a kind of
    pluggable PKFactory that allows me to quickly provide new per-entity PKs
    without exposing the attribute on the DataObject. Something along the
    lines of EOF's EOAdaptorChannel.primaryKey(s)ForNewRowWithEntity. Is this
    what you have in mind, too? Especially for DBs that can handle the special
    unique-24-byte-PK the performance is just so much better and solves many
    PK related race conditions with multiple writers.

    Holger