Re: Alpha 6 proposal

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 11:30:35 EST

    At 01:47 PM 2/2/2003 +0100, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    >Andrus wrote:
    > > I am thinking about doing Alpha 6 tomorrow. There are two reasons:
    > > 1. We have tons of cool new features and bug fixes
    > > 2. We are about to start some serious access package refactoring (Andriy's
    > > changes)
    >
    >Good idea. I know of at least two people who could use a new packaged
    >version. I would also like to see that we wrap up Andriy's changes ASAP
    >and proceed to beta1 as soon as possible after that.

    Yes! Yes! I totally agree. Current Alpha stage is absolutely overextended.
    It proved to be extremely valuable, since there are those brave people who
    use our current code on production projects and tell us what sucks and what
    is broken. But the time has long come to get over it.

    How about this: Alpha 6 is the last Alpha, after we integrate big Andriy's
    piece, we target beta 1.

    Two more things I would want to see in Beta are [B|C]LOB support (at least
    read-only), and stored procedure support (at least at the query level).
    Those were my early commitments, but as usual I got distracted by other
    things. Those 2 things will really make Cayenne ready for 1.0. If
    PostgreSQL support comes along by then I would really welcome it tough.

    >Several people talked
    >to me about Cayenne but were reluctant to even look at it since "it's
    >still only in alpha". Let's put off any additional features for 1.x.
    >
    >Remeber: "Real artists ship!" :)

    I hear you. We must stop with new features. Actually when we go to Beta and
    someone really needs to stick in a new feature, we may just branch in CVS
    for 1.1.

    Andrus