Re: Merging Cayenne-Andriy with Cayenne :-)

From: Andriy Shapochka (ashapochk..otmail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 02 2003 - 12:39:49 EST

    > I have to say that randomly creating DB schemas and then reengineering
    > them is probably the weirdest, but also coolest thing I've ever heard of.
    > Welcome Andriy! :-)
    > Keeping this regression suite in parallel to the regular unit tests is a
    > very good idea. A simple 'regression' ant target would be nice to have,
    > later.

    You know, it turns out such an application is a decent bug finder and helps
    with metering performance related stuff too. You can find the code in
    src/regression. It does not work with official Cayenne but it will next week
    after the new integration version is checked in. Right now I am adding tests
    of reflexive relationships to the regression app.

    > I might be missing something but one thing I'd like to see is a kind of
    > pluggable PKFactory that allows me to quickly provide new per-entity PKs
    > without exposing the attribute on the DataObject. Something along the
    > lines of EOF's EOAdaptorChannel.primaryKey(s)ForNewRowWithEntity. Is this
    > what you have in mind, too? Especially for DBs that can handle the special
    > unique-24-byte-PK the performance is just so much better and solves many
    > PK related race conditions with multiple writers.

    Principally, yes, the goal was to introduce configurable optional key
    generators (or factories) per DbEntity so that one could define name, cache
    size, and type in a data map and everything else would be handled
    automatically based on the type of the specified generator. The format is
    documented in the data-map.dtd and, hopefully, is suitable for definition of
    various kinds of key generation. By now Oracle sequences have been
    implemented due to lack of time. But as time allows I will continue on that.

    Andriy.