Re: Further deprecation / arrays vs. List

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Feb 04 2003 - 21:08:40 EST

    At 01:06 PM 2/3/2003 +0100, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    >Maybe some more candidates for..eprecation:
    >
    >DataDomain.DataNode[] getDataNodes()
    >DataNode.DataMap[] getDataMaps()
    >DataMap has several methods with arays vs. lists
    >
    >There's lots of pretty hairy List-vs.-array handling all over the place,
    >might as well clean it up now..no? Most of these methods are used in one
    >or two places and none are in any way performance-critical (which is
    >mostly a moot point in Java anyway). getDataMaps() already mentions
    >something like this. Using arrays also prevents better use of
    >commons-collections Predicate/Closure/Transformer which are sparely used
    >in one or two places but could be a much bigger code-saver.

    +1.

    Now is a good time to do that. Before we do it, I suggest removing all
    currently deprecated methods, and starting "fresh". Newly deprecated
    methods will have a note ..eprecated since Beta 1".

    >PS: on a lighter note..any self-respecting project needs code names for
    >releases - suggestions?

    Yeah, this has its appeal :-). Maybe we will do it in 1.1? First ever
    release usually goes under its main name...

    > and why is Cayenne called Cayenne anyway?
    >inquiring chili heads want to know :)

    When we started planning the original Cayenne, it was discussed a lot in
    the company I was affiliated with. We wanted to "invent" something catchy.
    One of the "chili heads" named Rich suggested the name. Andriy knows Rich
    too, all of us used to work together back then.

    :-)

    Andrus