Re: Constraint handling messed up?

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Thu Feb 06 2003 - 06:15:25 EST

    Dirk Olmes wrote:
    > I'm currently working on the postgres adaptor and it makes some progress
    > (more in a separate mail). I've stumbled over the constraints also (but

    nifty! I'm actually compiling 7.3.2 as we speak.. :)
    According to the mailing list the pg-jdbc driver seems to have many little
    quirks, make sure you use the latest 7.3 release or even -dev.

    > not related to holger's updates) and my fix was to create the
    > constraints as "DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED". This way, the
    > constraints will not be checked by the time a SQL command is issued but
    > at the end of the transaction.

    This was my first idea as well but it turned out to be something else; the
    statements were simply not sorted correctly.

    > On my last Oracle project declaring all constraints as deferrable
    > initially deferred helped to avoid a lot of troubles and now I wonder if

    absolutely, but..

    > this wouldn't be a sensible default for oracle, too.

    ..at least for the unit tests having the constraints as strict as possible
    is good for testing the statement sorting. INITIALLY DEFERRED might be a
    last chance if there's a cyclic dependency that cannot be broken up.

    > Sidenote: I wonder how the unit test passed on oracle but I guess that's
    > due to details on the inner workings of constraints between oracle and
    > postgresql.

    pg has initially deferred as well, but it should not be necessary for the
    unit tests.

    rock on!
    -h