Re: Postgresql adaptor progress

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Sun Feb 09 2003 - 22:05:05 EST

    >> Dirk sent me a nice diff that applied flawlessly against HEAD (thanks!
    >> :-); it doesn't seem to break anything in particular, should I check
    >> this
    >> in?
    >
    > Please do it!

    Ok, just for everyone who's trying to run the testsuite: there are
    still 2 Failures which I'd like to discuss in separate mails. I could
    have fixed them the easy way but I'd like to get deeper into the
    background before making a fix.

    > Just curious, were there any DbAdapter re-architecture involved, or
    > was it sufficient to implement the current API in PostgeSQL-friendly
    > fashion?

    As Holger said: just implement a few hooks, that's all. Note that the
    adaptor uses (for now) the AUTO_PK_TABLE for PK generation, although
    PostgreSQL can do sequences. I've had a look at the OraclePkGenerator
    and it seems that the bulk of that code could be reused for the
    PostgresPkGenerator that uses Sequences.

    So I'd like to split the Oracle PK generator to an abstract
    SequencePkGenerator class that both OraclePkGenerator and
    PostgresPkGenerator can extend. I can come up with a proposal if we
    decide to go that way.

    -dirk