banging my head against SelectQueryTst

From: Dirk Olmes (dirk.olme..mx.de)
Date: Sun Feb 16 2003 - 21:57:53 EST

    Hi,

    the last Unit test failing is SelectQueryTst>>testOrderByIgnoreCase for
    the Postges Adaptor. I've been banging my head against this one for
    several hours now, trying to find out what's the difference when this
    test runs on Oracle and on Postgres.

    Apart from the fact that the test doesn't test queries using ORDER BY as
    its name would suggest, my current assumption is that the test runs on
    oracle only through the existence of the OracleQualifierTranslator.

    It seems that Oracle and Postgres share the same behaviour of CHAR(xx)
    columns: padding the column to its specified length with blanks.
    OracleQualifierTranslator seems to generate queries with RTRIM(column)
    so that the test will finally find something. Since I don't have such a
    QualifierTranslator installed for postgres, things go wrong.

    Can someone please explain the design goal behind the whole trimming of
    CHAR columns, please? I remember that in the past CHAR columns were
    handled more efficiently by DBMSs than VARCHAR but I remember having
    read in the Oracle docs that this is no longer true. Why use CHAR
    columns for variable length strings then? And if processing of CHAR
    columns was cheaper, I'd think that the whole gain would be destroyed by
    adding RTRIM to queries to those columns.

    a little bit confused,

    -dirk