Re: Modeler look&feel

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 10:51:34 EST

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
    > > Instead of just defaulting to something that not everybody might like, you
    > > can now set your L&F in modeler.preferences; while I was at it, I added
    > > saving/restoring the window layout.
    >
    > Very cool. I wanted to have this for a long time.

    The one thing that's missing is a Preferences menu that allows you to
    select a L&F from all the installed ones. Maybe later..

    Oh, and for the life of me I absolutely cannot resize the tree view width
    programmatically; setMinimumSize() in EditorView() works fine but
    setSize() simply does not, no matter where I put it. Any hints?
    These are my first 'real' steps with Swing and I just couldn't believe
    when I first saw JComponent's source, what a terrible mess. :(

    > I know, lots of things "Made in Apache" are far from superior quality
    > (except for httpd :-)). But I was actually hoping that we could
    > eventually completely walk away from 1.4, though it is not as pressing now.

    How so? Not using some of the new features in 1.4+ would mean unnecessary
    work for a lot of things, not to mention no JDBC3 support, Swing
    performance etc. It's unfortunate but we have little choice, especially
    for the GUI.

    > 1.4 smells bad - it is slower than 1.3, and I can actually consistently
    > reproduce a "blue screen of death" by opening and closing CayenneModeler
    > on 1.4.1 on my work W2K machine, can you imagine that!!! (only on that
    > machine and on that particular version of JDK). Of course this is a
    > Windows bug, but I still find this amusing :-).

    There's a known & pretty popular bug with ATI graphic cards/drivers and
    DirectDraw enabled (or something like that), which would consistently
    crash the machine. That might be your problem?

    -h