Re: Modeler look&feel

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 11:08:50 EST

    > Not using some of the new features in 1.4+ would mean
    > unnecessary work for a lot of things, not to mention no JDBC3 support,
    > Swing
    > performance etc. It's unfortunate but we have little choice, especially
    > for the GUI.

    JDBC3 is available as a standalone jar from Sun. I have deployed Cayenne
    applications on 1.3 since October with no problems. As for other 1.4
    additions, we already have alternatives integrated to Cayenne - regular
    expressions, logging, etc. (what else, I can't remember?).

    I think the only 1.4 leftover is Swing SpringLayout, which is not such a
    big deal. Are you aware of any other Swing 1.4 improvements that we may
    need?

    I can actually
    >> consistently reproduce a "blue screen of death" by opening and closing
    >> CayenneModeler on 1.4.1 on my work W2K machine, can you imagine
    >> that!!! (only on that machine and on that particular version of JDK).
    >> Of course this is a Windows bug, but I still find this amusing :-).
    >
    > There's a known & pretty popular bug with ATI graphic cards/drivers and
    > DirectDraw enabled (or something like that), which would consistently
    > crash the machine. That might be your problem?

    Could be. This is an ancient Dell machine that belongs to the company I
    work for. I should probably start using my own laptop anyway.

    Andrus