Re: Modeler look&feel

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 12:02:16 EST

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > I think the only 1.4 leftover is Swing SpringLayout, which is not such a
    > big deal. Are you aware of any other Swing 1.4 improvements that we may
    > need?

    Only L&F (mousewheel!) and performance. But my point was more that Sun
    will continue to fix many important bugs & add enhancements like e.g.
    better L&F (e.g. 1.4.2 will support skinnable, accelerated Windows XP),
    and these bugfixes and enhancements will not be available to us when we
    don't 'get with the times'. While this is of course not really a deciding
    factor for the core framework (being headless etc.) I don't think that we
    should stay backwards intentionally. Why should we constrain ourselves to
    reinventing? This will just increase dependency on even more 3rd party
    packages, and we have enough for now, IMHO. I agree that it's bad enough
    that we have to use log4j instead of JDK logging (for good reason, JDK
    logging is terrible!), oro instead of JDK regexps etc. but just like with
    C++ 5 years ago this will just lead to the development of a 'parallel
    world'. I know it's sad, but this lack of extensibility and future safety
    is just a fundamental Java problem and not something we should try to fix
    at our expense. Yesterday I spent ~3 hours trying to understand how the
    ExtendedProperties work correctly until I figured out their broken API; my
    first try with the JDK Preferences took 5 minutes and worked immediately
    as expected. Granted, this is an exception (normally JDK stuff is broken
    and 3rd party packages work better ;-) but it shows that there's something
    that we should use, because it's available, supported, works, and doesn't
    cost our (precious) time.
    Anyway, if cayenne-core continues to run on 1.3 I very much agree that's a
    Good Thing and something we should strive for, since it increases its
    potential for deployment. Might actually be a selling point later.

    > Could be. This is an ancient Dell machine that belongs to the company I
    > work for. I should probably start using my own laptop anyway.

    found it:
    http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4713003.html

    Holger