Re: Modeler look&feel

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Feb 19 2003 - 13:17:55 EST

    > Andrus,
    >
    > the DbLoginPanel always had these big, ugly popup buttons and after lots
    > of searching I found out that this was because it used
    > PanelFactory.createJDK13Form(); using the generic createForm() now looks
    > and feels right. Was this some backwards-compatibility method for 1.4.0?
    > If it's not needed anymore I'll remove it.

    It was done, so that we could use login panel to run unit tests on 1.3.
    With current ant-based tests (and modeler separation into its own
    subproject) this is no longer an issue.

    "createForm" uses SpringLayout new to 1.4. Since we use it in other
    places, I guess it is OK to ditch "createJDK13Form".

    As for your earlier argument about using new stuff from JDK, I think we
    should still be conservative. I guess having Modeler on 1.4 is OK, but
    forcing the users to upgrade to minor releases (like 1.4.1 or 1.4.2) is
    going to hurt Cayenne acceptance. You have my "-1" on that.

    Also 1.3 is an absolute requirement for the core framework. Server
    environment upgrades happen slower than desktop. Also app servers may not
    even support 1.4 for a long time. When we deployed on iPlanet (that sucks
    majorly), 1.4 wasn't even an option. And iPlanet belongs to Sun :-).

    Andrus