Re: UML based modeling outside of Modeler (was: RE: Modeler vs. consistency of DataMap/Entity/Attribute/Relationship)

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 15:42:34 EST

    > Hi Michael,
    >
    > thanks for your mail and sorry for the late reply. I've been away.
    >
    >> I have been looking at ArgoUML (www.argouml.org) as a platform for
    >> writing a UI for an open-source O/R mapping tool
    >> (hibernate, OJB, Cayenne).
    >
    > Daring, I'd say. I am not sure you'll be able to come up with a single,
    > model-based concept that enables all the plugins to generate the
    > framework-specific output; but then I've been wrong before. :-)

    I guess I need some time to digest this idea. Though I don't see
    CayenneModeler going away anytime soon :-).

    Just wanted to share some of my experience with UML tools.

    1. ArgoUML seems the only one Java OpenSource one. So it is a natural
    candidate for any kind of integration. But... I used the OpenSource
    version of it (can't say anything about commercial versions). My
    experience was real bad. It turned out totally unusable.

    2. There is Rational XDE which is Eclipse based (or at least is using the
    same SDK). I haven't used it much though the UI looks much better than
    traditional Rose. But with the Rational (or is it IBM already?) pricing
    model, writing plugins for it may not practical.

    3. EA (Enterprise Architect) from Sparx (http://www.sparxsystems.com.au/).
    I like this a lot and use it occasionally in my work (I plan to maybe do
    some Cayenne diagrams for the User Guide), I even paid a $100 for their
    license :-). Unfortunately this is C++/Windows. Not very open.

    Oh well... In my view there is no decent platform to integrate with. So
    being able to work at the XMI level to import/export things seems like the
    best way . Kind of what Arndt was talking about.

    Andrus