Auto-reconnect

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 03:08:16 EST

    Some time back I argued that automated reconnect is close to impossible
    to implement in Cayenne connection package:

    http://objectstyle.org/cayenne/lists/cayenne-user/2003/01/0023.html

    This is only partially true. Just figured how to restart failed
    PooledConnectionImpl on Oracle (some simple refactoring, I will be
    checking it in soon).

    Unfortunately on other databases, calls like
    "connection.prepareStatement" are local, and Exception is not thrown
    immediately (even if the database is down), but only when a statement
    is executed. So make it robust, theoretically we will must wrap not
    only the Connection (with a ConnectionWrapper), but also all the
    objects returned from it (Statements, ResultSets, etc.) I think this is
    a bit over the board and I will not do it now. Maybe instead we will
    eventually simply create an expiration parameter that will allow to
    retire "old" connections. I think this is how many pools actually
    work...

    Andrus