Re: Stress testing tools

From: Arndt Brenschede (a..iamos.de)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 15:22:31 EDT

    Hi,

    I've some experience with this sort of test,
    though I always used home-grown simulation
    software to play these games.

    Some of the commercial products are quite
    smart in recording user behaviour and, at least
    for http simulations, allow near plug&play simulation
    setup - while for my tools, I always have to spend some
    work on the session simulator - but just to get
    the multithreading and the statistical timing o.k.,
    I think that's even better than the commercial
    tools.

    I could send you a simulation for one of
    the example apps if I find some time
    (but this is unlikely currently :-( )

    I already did these kinds of tests against cayenne,
    and I can report you the first bug I found that
    way (did'nt want to put that in the bugtracker,
    because I was afraid that no one will understand
    that...)

    when the connection-pool runs on it's limit,
    "PoolManager.getConnection()" throws exceptions
    about a queue overflow.

    Apart from the fact that I don't understand
    the (non)sense of RequestQueue/RequestDequeue
    (isn't that exactly what the VM has build-in
    as the synchronization monitor? synchronize,
    wait, notify & friends...) there must not be
    a limit on this queue, not even an undocumented
    one :-) )

    regards,

    Arndt