Re: cleaning up deprecated things

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Apr 30 2003 - 01:36:26 EDT

    On Wednesday, April 30, 2003, at 12:46 AM, Dirk Olmes wrote:

    > On Dienstag, April 29, 2003, at 03:13 Uhr, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    >
    >> Of course this is totally arbitrary, but I would wait till maybe after
    >> another Beta goes out. After all there has been less than 2 weeks
    >> since we
    >> released the original deprecated stuff..
    >
    > I'd say better remove the stuff earlier than later: within those 2
    > weeks hoepfully nobody (or at least a very few persons) relies on that
    > stuff. If we wait much longer this will cause migration pain.

    Ok, combining yours and mine logic... If we extend the "deadline",
    users who pay attention to compiler warnings will have a better chance
    to update their code, and users who don't - a better chance to screw
    themselves up :-). I'd prefer to work for the first category of users...

    Anyway, given that a) this is still Beta and b) even with our
    deprecation attempts, Beta 1 introduced tons of incompatibilities with
    Alpha 6, I vote "-0" on this, meaning that I have no serious objections
    to removing it now.

    But when we get to a point of deprecation between stable releases (say
    1.0 -> 1.1), I would insist on keeping deprecated methods as long as
    possible (maybe at least between the "major releases, say 1.x -> 2.0).
    Cause we will be dealing with people upgrading their production
    systems, and migration path should always be reasonable with no excuse
    of the "OpenSource"-ness of the product.

    Andrus