Cayenne Data View Modeler merged with Cayenne 1.1-dev

From: Andriy Shapochka (ashapochk..otmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 08 2003 - 09:16:04 EST

    Cayenne Data Modeler has become stable enough to get into the main CVS trunk of Cayenne, great thanks to my friend Natasha Kholodnaya who I added to the list of contributors in our 1.1-dev xdocs. Its sources can be found under src/dvmodeler. It relies on JDOM beta 9 (I replaced beta 8 with it) and JGoodies.com forms-1.0.2.jar (Forms library) and plastic-1.1.2.jar (Looks library). They are under BSD license. The build and deployment scheme is the same as of Cayenne Modeler. To support Data Views the optional extention to Cayenne Project DTD is proposed (DVModeler already makes use of it):

    <!ELEMENT domains (domain*, view*)>
    <!ATTLIST domains
     project-version CDATA

    <!ELEMENT view
    <!ATTLIST view
        name CDATA #REQUIRED
        location CDATA #REQUIRED

    Here relevant parts of the DTD are shown. The meaning of the view's attributes is the same as that of the map's attributes.
    In case the extension is accepted by the acting Cayenne developers its support will be added to the relevant parts of Cayenne so the data views could be (optionally) loaded at runtime. I will also add some docs and samples on dvmodeler usage later on. Anyway it is friendly enough for you to play with a bit. Data Maps are not modified with it ever. cayenne.xml is modified to the extent the references to views are added or removed, nothing more changed.

    Further plans concerning Data Views:
    1. Add the support of the project extension to the Cayenne core.
    2. Cayenne Modeler must preserve existing view entries in the project file.
    3. Cayenne users will be able to load data views based on the cayenne project at runtime if needed. They will not be loaded by default (like Data Maps are).

    Andriy.