Re: [Druid-devel] A better JDBC import

From: antonio-petrelli..ibero\.it (antonio-petrelli@libero.it)
Date: Wed Nov 26 2003 - 02:55:47 EST

    > The DatabaseIOModule is intended to import into druid / export from druid
    > database schemas in various formats. It not indended to be used via jdbc.
    >
    > I have given a look at cayenne sources and the conclusion is:
    > the reverse engineering capability of cayenne is *not* better than druid's one.
    >
    > You say that cayenne uses adapters to interface with different dbms. If you
    > look at the code, you'll find that the adapters are almost empty and, almost
    > all, contain code to create a table and a sequence. Only the oracle adapter
    > seems to be a little better giving the possibility to write blobs and clobs.
    >
    > Hence, I see that cayenne uses only a standard jdbc api for reverse engineering.
    > Because you say that druid fails, I see only 2 possible causes:
    >
    > - cayenne uses less jdbc features than druid.
    > - cayenne uses more try/catch to fix drivers problems.
    >
    > Maybe, what you are missing is that druid has dbms adapters too (called
    SqlAdapters).
    > The SqlAdapter interface is located in druid.interfaces and a basic
    implementation is
    > located in druid.core.jdbc.BasicSqlAdapter.
    >
    > Usually, what I do is to provide a module interface and a working prototipe to
    allow
    > other developers to write other modules. Inside mod.dbms.mckoi.sql.adapter there
    > is the McKoi adapter which is able to retrive sequences and the source code
    from views.
    > As you can see, cayenne is not able to do this.

    Got the point. Anyway yesterday I almost finished writing the module (I have
    some problems with data types, but I am working on it. By the way, the code is
    incredibly clear, congratulations) and maybe I can post it somewhere...

    > I see only one problem here, the exception rised by JayBird, because as you
    say the
    > standard driver for SQL server works. Furthermore, if I can remember, the standard
    > firebird driver is interclient. In that case I prefer to fix problems there
    and not with jaybird.

    Mmm. Let's make things clear. The other JDBC driver for SQL server is jTDS, not
    JayBird.
    Interclient is the official JDBC driver for INTERBASE! JayBird is the official
    JDBC driver for Firebird and only JayBird works with Firebird 1.5.

    See you
    Antonio

    P.S. Sorry Andrea, I am using a web mail system, and it does not complain the
    "reply to" field, so for error I mailed this letter to you personal address.