Re: Final optimistic locking patch available / CAY-52 attachments need deleting

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Sun Mar 21 2004 - 22:08:18 EST

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > Good point. So in other words one common scenario is mass changes of
    > tabular data.
    >
    > Then we still need to preserve batching, and I guess will have to
    > partition update batches further depending on null positions in the
    > WHERE clause.

    Can we also add a flag to each JDBC driver that indicates whether it
    supports "UPDATE SET a=b WHERE c=?" with c bound to NULL?

    For any driver that supports it, we can do normal batch processing.

    In some ways, leaving Oracle optimistic locking update processing always
    running in non-batched mode might be a good thing. It fixes the problem
    with detecting which row failed if optimistic locking fails. [With so many
    JDBC problems (no batch update result support, no c=null support, no DATE
    equality comparision support), you'd think no one was doing useful work with
    Oracle 9.]

    With any luck, Oracle the only JDBC driver that doesn't support the c=? sql.

    -Mike