Re: Modeler Preferences

From: Andriy Shapochka (ashapochk..otmail.com)
Date: Thu Sep 23 2004 - 04:34:01 EDT

    > Heh. SQL vs. XML, I though what the hell, SQL is better :-)
    >
    > Andrus

    Talking of SQL vs. XML - never could comprehend why anybody must choose XML
    to define things like Ant build files or Jelly scripts intended entirely for
    editing by hand. How strange it seems folks have to lose so much time typing
    and browsing all the XML redundancy just because free XML parsers grew
    plentiful like mushrooms in the late nineties. A couple of weeks ago I had
    to invent something to rapidly define and edit workflows for my slowly
    maturing workflow engine and it took me like a day or two to construct and
    implement a small, declarative, natural, and easy-to-type-in workflow
    language with JavaCC (I am not a compiler building expert at all) getting
    nice lexical validation reports along with the automatically built and
    readily browsable JJTree structure for free. That even made me wonder if
    cayenne data map reimplementation in some kind of declarative,
    comprehensible language could be of use and interest. To tell the truth
    every time Cayenne Modeler refuses to load a data map saying it is invalid
    (perhaps after merge with the freshly updated version in CVS) and not giving
    a single lead "why", it gives me the creeps to have to open the map in a
    text editor trying to plough through the endless swollen XML rows of
    obj/db --relationships for fifty to hundred defined entities.

    Andriy.