Proposal - commiter status for Mike Kienenberger [Was: Running Modeler from Eclipse]

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Oct 19 2004 - 22:46:43 EDT

    Before I comment on the substance of Mike's message, let me suggest one
    thing - how about giving Mike a committer status? We will still have to
    discuss any changes to the framework on this list, but he won't have to
    jump through the hoops to get things done.

    As many of our past committers are "retired", I wouldn't wait long to
    collect all the votes, just a few days maybe. Everyone who is on this
    list long enough knows that Mike has done a number of important things
    for Cayenne (OpenBaseAdapter, optimistic locking - just a few things
    that come to mind). Also he helped us a lot in driving the development
    in the right direction.

    Here is my +1.

    > I'm trying a little experiment to try to add a "Browse Data" function
    > to the
    > modeler with 1.1.RC1, like the OpenBase "Browse Data" or DBEdit
    > program for
    > EOModels.

    Cool! That's definitely something we need to have in the Modeler.

    Regarding the setup... One thing you definitely have to do is to mount
    all JAR files (including hsql*.jar) in lib/modeler directory as the
    project libraries. Still I really can't guarantee that the source
    distributed with download will behave smoothly as a standalone eclipse
    project. I strongly recommend using CVS, and once you get committer
    access, this won't be such a hassle. Besides we have past releases
    tagged, so if you want to stay with a stable version of code you will
    always have this opportunity. On checkout simply copy
    contrib/ide/eclipse/* to the project root and you'll get things running
    in no time.

    BTW, when developing Cayenne I am running the modeler from Eclipse and
    it works just fine, with debugger and all.

    Andrus