Re: Evaluating Cayenne for Java Client application

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Tue Nov 30 2004 - 20:56:25 EST

Marek Wawrzyczny <mare..sh.com.au> wrote:
> Sounds intriguing, I will have a look at home if this is not way over
> my head.

I had the same thoughts when I started on optimistic locking.
Fortunately, the Cayenne code is well written and very easy to extend, even
for database-dependent stuff. It turned out that the guts of the
optimistic locking changes were probably less than 100 lines of code, and
even most of that was just minor changes.

> I do remember however that pessimistic locking is database
> dependant, I presume this is detectable/done through the JDBC?

Yep, I would suspect most of the database-dependent pieces would just be in
the adaptor code.
You can also start by just implementing it for a single database (yours)
rather than trying to do it for every possible variation :)

-Mike