Re: c*gen

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Tue Jun 07 2005 - 15:54:39 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > Mike is probably busy with other things
    > now, but let's keep this for the record until Mike, myself or someone
    > else has a chance to resume work on class generator changes.

    Yeah, that's pretty low to try to sneak this in today ;)

    But we're back from the hospital now.

    > * I think we are mixing two things together, confusing the users and
    > making our life harder:
    >
    > (1) A generic mechanism for building a file by combining a
    > Velocity template with DataMap or Entity metadata;
    > (2) Cayenne DataObjects generation mechanism which something
    > similar to #1, but with one important distinction - it has internal
    > logic to mix and match one or more templates. And this logic is
    > specific to Cayenne.
    >

    > Suggested design/refactoring:
    >
    > .. Tasks below will be used for custom single template processing
    > with VPP support ...

    I think you make a lot of good points on ease of use.

    However, I'd like to see this done in such a way that one can start with the
    generic superclass/subclass templates, and switch over to the customized
    version. Ie, the same templates should work in both.

    > I suggest to split two current modes into two
    > separate tasks for clarity (e.g. "includeEntities" probably makes no
    > sense for DataMap mode).

    Actually, I already have a use-case for a subset of entities in datamap
    mode.
    I think the "extended" cgen task should remain maximally flexible and
    configurable, and the standard task should just be a convenience wrapper
    around it with hardcoded values and limited ant task options.

    As for the name, if we're already using something long, I'd prefer
    "model-to-template-generator" or "model-transformer" or something with those
    connotations. Of course, since I no longer sleep, I'm not sure how that
    sounds to those of you who do :)

    -Mike