Re: Is there an updated simple 3T Example?

From: Derek Rendall (derek.rendal..mail.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 19:19:24 EDT

    Thanks for the update.

    FYI: One of the reasons I wanted to play with it was to investigate
    the scenario where I make some changes to (some) data on the client,
    call a method on the server that will commit the changes AND perform
    some business logic that grabs more data, makes some associated
    changes, and commits those changes. Some of these associated objects
    MAY already be held at the client, and so any updates from the
    business method would need to be propogated back to client.

    For example, say I am looking at a loan statement for a client when I
    realise that the loan interest rate is incorrect. I update the loan
    interest rate and call the adjustLoanRate method in my business
    process class on the server. The server method saves the change, and
    in the same transaction adjusts any pending automatic loan payments
    (may be already viewed on client) and creates an overall loan
    adjustment (possibly only if will benefit the customer, based on fact
    its the company's fault). There could be a further ripple effect that
    the server based method makes further system requests for a client
    review by supervisory staff, automatic analysis of further potential
    cases etc.

    Assuming that the client holds a subset of data available in the data
    context on the server side, one possible way of handling this (and I'm
    SURE there must be better ways :-) is to pass all changed objects in
    full and only ids of unchanged objects (performance - but would it be
    a worry - or is it even necessary - can we glean this from the server
    side contents?) when making this server call. If the server updates
    any of the unchanged objects, these objects get returned from the
    method call. Similarly, the committed updates from the client also get
    returned to it. Note: this also allows the server to adjust objects as
    part of the commit process (e.g. I currently do audit trail and time
    stamp stuff this way), and the client to keep in sync with these
    changes.

    Is this type of scenario going to be possible, or will I have to push
    all my logic to the client, and use the server for managing data
    connections and non-transactionally important type commands/messages?

    Thanks

    Derek