Darcs repository

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 17:49:51 EST

    To make things easier for me, I've set up my own darcs repository to
    mirror the existing CVS one. Note the mirror is from HEAD as of a couple
    nights back. I tried to mirror from INITIAL and then again from the 1.2M7
    tag, but had problems with both. So, what I have now will only track
    history going forward from a few nights back.

    Why the mirror? Well, one hope is that a cron job that mirrors for me
    will be able to connect to the pserver at some point in time and then I
    won't need to be bothered with it myself. The other, bigger reason is
    that it'll let me do local commits. So, for anyone without write access
    to the CVS repository, you'll be able to work and record your changes.
    True, the eclipse local history does help a bit in these regards, but I
    can't really say I trust it all that much.

    Even if you do have write access to the repository, you may appreciate
    this since you can do incremental work and only push a feature to the
    server when it is complete.

    Anyway, I'm making this publicly available if anyone else wants to use
    it. The mirror is currently available at:

    http://www.negativetwenty.net/repos/cayenne-darcs/

    Although, I may move this to the servprise.com domain in the future (note
    that a moving repository isn't really a big deal to darcs).

    In case you've never heard of darcs, it's an interesting distributed SCM.
    I have little experience with it, but so far it seems pretty decent, if
    slow at times. It is a self-contained binary with a simple command set
    though, so it's really easy to get going with it. More info at:
    http://abridgegame.org/darcs/

    For the mirroring, I'm using a tool called Tailor. More info at:
    http://darcs.net/DarcsWiki/Tailor

    Finally, there is a budding eclipse plugin for darcs at
    http://www.eclipsedarcs.org/doku.php This is lightyears behind the SVN
    and CVS ones currently, so I'd recommend sticking with the CLI tool.

    If you find yourself using it, please let me know how you like it. Please
    note also that this mirror I've set up is independent of any SCM
    discussions we've had in the past. I still think it'd be nice to kick CVS
    at some point, but I'm not sure darcs is the best alternative. It is
    taking care of a need for me right now though.

    Enjoy,
    Kevin