extended type and subclasses

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 07:50:39 EDT

    Hello.

    I am using an ExtendedType to map a JTS Geometry to a CLOB as done here:

    http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/Mapping+JTS+Geometries

    This has been working ok, but I have only used it for reading. Trying
    to use the same ExtendedType for writing got me into an annoying
    problem. On writing I typically set a Polygon or MultiPolygon on the
    CayenneDataObject. P and MP are both subclasses of the mapped
    Geometry, but are not mapped correctly as the map only contains class
    names.

    I have updated the example in the wiki to reflect this "problem".

    Perhaps ExtendedType should map a Class (and handle subclasses)
    instead of a String holding a class name? Just wanted to discuss it
    here before creating a feature request for it.

    Regards,
      - Tore.