Re: Proposal for the project "Support for full text search in Cayenne"

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon May 08 2006 - 11:59:48 EDT

    Hi Tomas,

    I suggest that we move this discussion to the dev list (actually you
    being a Cayenne user and participating in the community is a positive
    thing for the proposal).

    Regarding the design ... I haven't done enough research myself to be
    fully confident in the design choices. Originally I thought to simply
    build a facade to the existing DB full text search capabilities. Most
    DB's have them ... but many do not, so there has to be some Lucene-
    based least common denominator approach. Folks from the Lucene
    community however recommended to look at Compass framework [2]. So
    another approach may be building a plugin for Compass. Compass looks
    promising, but also pretty complex from the first glance.

    I suggest that you'll do some research along these lines and come up
    with the deliverables based on your conclusions.

    [1] http://wiki.apache.org/general/TomasJucius/Cayenne/proposal
    [2] http://www.opensymphony.com/compass/

    Andrus