Regression profiling

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun May 21 2006 - 22:50:48 EDT

    I just setup a Maven/Jetty/Jmeter combo to do some simple regression
    profiling of the code (per CAY-524). I was able to get some data
    comparing 1.1.4, M12 and HEAD performance:

    http://dev.objectstyle.org/~andrus/profile/

    CAY-524 has some initial writeup on how to run the profiler. I'll put
    more docs on Wiki in the future.

    Preliminary conclusions:

    * 1.2 and 1.1 are comparable in performance. Some things became
    better, some became worse, but nothing sticks out as really bad.

    * 1.2 uses a different JDBC strategy than 1.1 (Statement.execute()
    instead of Statement.executeUpdate() + executeQuery()), so the
    profiles look different on different databases, as this is driver
    dependent. An extreme case - HSQLD "file:" URLs (not shown above)
    result in 4x slowdown in 1.2, while after switching to "mem:" URL,
    the differences between releases become insignificant.

    * Still we can probably do better, so I will continue working on
    profiling the individual scenarios (per CAY-525).

    Also if anybody finds a scenario that behaves unusually slowly
    compared to 1.1 or in general (such as CAY-438), please report them
    via Jira.

    Andrus