Re: VARCHAR and trailing space

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2006 - 16:18:37 EDT

    On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 16:04 -0400, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > On May 25, 2006, at 1:34 PM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
    >
    > > NB!!! MS SQL server behaves the same way as MS Access. NB!!!
    > >
    > > In my tests HSQLDB will not yield a match for WHERE "foo"="foo<space>"
    >
    > And why should it? The two are not equal. (this is VARCHAR's, right?)

    I prefer HSQLDB's behaviour. That MS Access & MS SQL Server yield
    a match in this case is *stopid*.

    The problem is that we're trying to lift an old application from MS
    Access & MS SQL server + .asp over to Cayenne + Tapestry. While we
    are waiting for the write-from-scratch & migration to complete for
    all customers, we need to be bug-by-bug compatible with the old
    database. That might not be possible, but things will go much,
    much smoother if we can achieve it(since we don't have to
    touch the .asp + vbscript code then). We have also have
    some particularly imaginative and unusual plans for those
    "developers" that "exploited" this particular quirk in MS Access/MS SQL
    server :-)

    Once the migration is complete, we'll toss out MS Access & MS SQL
    server.

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com