Re: Cocoa Cayenne status

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 17:05:26 EDT

    On Sep 25, 2006, at 22:41, Tore Halset wrote:

    > On Sep 25, 2006, at 22:02, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    >
    >> This looks pretty cool. Do you think it will be worthwhile to
    >> start advertising this effort on Cocoa/WebObjects lists? This way
    >> we may find volunteers from the Objective C world with CoreData
    >> experience, and at least place it on the community radar.
    >
    > It is still very early, but sometimes early is good :)
    >
    > I am not very comfortable with the fact that hessianobjc does not
    > work out of the box yet. It still does not handle object refs. I
    > have a working patch, but there are some memory issues that should
    > be solved first. Perhaps we should wait till after this has been
    > fixed as it will make it a bit easier to get started?

    Bryan has committed all of the pending patches to HessianObjC and
    things are looking good. I have fixed some bugs in CocoaCayenne as
    well. I think this is a good time to open up to the WO lists and
    perhaps to Cocoa as well. Agree?

    Most of the basic stuff are working. Cocoa bindings are working.
    Relationship handling with automatic setting of reverse relationships
    the cayenne way are working. Objects and ObjectIds are unique for
    each context. Deleting, Named Queries, Committing and Faulting are
    working. CocoaCayenne also has a custom NSArrayController that makes
    life a lot easier.

    There are lots of stuff to improve. Here are some of them:
      * More datatypes. Like numbers. Should be easy. NSDatePicker are
    working.
      * Authentication. Currently username and password are stored in the
    hessian service url.
      * XMPP to distribute/share events.
      * Core Data. Some code to create a NSManagedObjectModel from a
    DataMap, but nothing more. Perhaps not that important as CocoaCayenne
    already works with bindings and controllers.

    In addition to this, we need some introduction that tell about
    cayenne, cayenne ROP and how CocoaCayenne (or what we want to call
    it) fit in to all of it.

    > BTW: Here are todays status-screenshot of the tutorial client :)
    > http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~halset/tmp/cocoa-client-20060925.png

    It is still the latest screenshot.

      - Tore.