Re: DataView status

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 14:54:09 EDT

    Hello all

    On Mon, 9 Oct 2006 10:52:23 -0400
    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:

    > * I have no experience using it on a project, so I can't comment on
    > the usefulness of this particular implementation, but the idea looks
    > good.

    The SOBF tool (Security Officers Best Friend, Open Source tool for
    assessing information security risk) is heavily based on DataViews and the
    DataViews saved me many hours of headaches and work.

    Basically it is the idea to create DataViews for DataObjects. Taking
    these view definitions it is possible to program a databound JList in a
    few minutes. For the SOBF tool we currently work on creating a renderer
    based on DataViews which can generate detail edit frames and which can
    create JasperReports XML formatted files. This would allow us to create
    new edit/view forms and printable representations of these in no time.

    The idea is this: When the data model changes (at least when talking about
    simple foreign key constraints and table changes) we will need no
    progamming. We will just update the respective DataView and the renderer
    does the rest.

    > * If we (cayenne dev community) are to continue the development, as a
    > first step I suggest making Cayenne core independent of DV runtime.

    I would suggest to move DV "out of the way" so that it is not hurting the
    normal Cayenne development. But please keep DataViews supported. I am
    currently in the process to switch to Cayenne 3.x because I absolutely
    need the Lifecycle Callbacks (generating uuid formated key when creating a
    new object and updating the last_updated field before committing changes).

    Because the SOBF tool is that much depending on DataViews I would very
    much like to see them at least not removed. I would hate to have to redo
    everything I already programmed only beause of DataViews being removed
    from Cayenne.

    Regards,
    Adrian