wrap up from the software summit

From: Bill Dudney (bdudne..pache.org)
Date: Sat Oct 28 2006 - 11:46:09 EDT

    Hi All,

    Just wanted to let you all know about last week..the software summit
    (www.softwaresummit.com).

    I presented;

    http://bill.dudney.net/roller/resources/bill/Cayenne.pdf

    at the conference.

    There were about 600 people there and about 60 or 70 made it to one
    of the talks I did on Cayenne. Generally everyone liked the idea of
    Cayenne, there was a broad range of experience with R/O mapping, some
    had done hibernate but many were doing straight JDBC or iBatis. The
    JDBC'ers were very impressed with Cayenne, and the hibernater's were
    pumped about the modeler :-)

    Over all Cayenne was well received and I hope to see at least a
    little of an uptick in the user list and maybe a new developer or two.

    A couple of specific observations;

    1) JPA support was high on many folks list of stuff that they wanted
    to see.
    2) One of the guys at the show backed up cayenne modeler to his 500+
    table oracle db and the modeler pulled in all the metadata
    flawlessly. He was quite impressed!
    3) A lot of people still don't get the R/O thing. I was surprised at
    the # of folks using iBatis to manage complex object graphs and
    essentially re-implementing the relationship handling code on top of
    iBatis.

    If you have any notes or comments on the preso please feel free to
    send them to me. I'll be updating the preso and giving it again I'm
    sure. On that note it is licensed under creative commons so feel free
    to use it at your local JUG or whatever to spread the word about
    Cayenne.

    TTFN,

    -bd-