Re: DataView status

From: Adrian Wiesmann (awiesman..omap.org)
Date: Mon Oct 30 2006 - 11:17:42 EST

    Hi Malcolm

    > With DV you can have different views across the same object entities
    > to support these different requirements. With a straight annotation
    > based approach I can't see how it would support these scenarios.

    There is another scenario. List and detail views where you use the same
    DataContext to render a list of DataObjects and to render one single
    DataObject which can then be edited. In the list you normally show
    different fields (or not the same group or something) like in the detail
    view. The detail view mostly contains more fields than the list view.

    > Extra fields which could be added the the ObjFieldView include:
    > * sortable - UI hint for columns
    > * width - UI field / column width hint

    Good ideas.

    Foreignkey reference information is something which we also miss. I would
    like to be able to add the name of a DataView to the foreign key
    reference: When showing a list of DataObjects and one of the fields is a
    reference to another type of DataObjects, we currently have the
    functionality that we add a button besides the corresponding field in the
    UI. Clicking the button will open up a modal search dialog. While it is
    clear what type of DataObject we want to search for, we need another
    DataView to render a list of DataObjects.

    > * tooltip - for field help

    Good idea (we already do have the captions there). But there should be
    some multi language support. Or some hook to where you could hook up some
    piece of code which does the translation.

    Adding a help hook would be another idea.

    Yet another idea would be to define the edit states. Which means: Can the
    user edit data within this DataView or is it for read only?

    > I haven't figured out how a list of values (for a select / ComboBox)
    > is represented in the DV design.

    This looked a little bit tricky to me. Afaik the list renders a combobox.
    But that is not a good solution. Especially when these foreignkey
    constraints can contain huge lists of records. We solve this with modal
    searches, see above for details.

    Perhaps we should elaborate on the different usage strategies/techniques
    of DV.

    Regards,
    Adrian