cgen and VPP

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Fri Nov 03 2006 - 11:50:09 EST

    Per CAY-591, I'm in the process of porting the cgen ant task to be a
    maven2 plugin. So far, what I have works pretty well and I've just
    refactored a bunch of crap so that I even like the code a little bit.
    The problem I'm facing is that the cgen ant task used VPP for Velocity
    stuff. VPP is highly tied to ant and in probing the maven user list,
    I'm not getting the sense there's going to be any way for me to use it.

    So, we're at a bit of a crossroads. From what I can see, our options
    are:

    1) Port VPP to Maven
    2) Strike the Velocity options from cgen for maven
    3) Find a new way of doing the Velocity stuff

    1) seems like a fair amount of work that has a questionable amount to do
    with Cayenne proper. Nonetheless, I could look into doing it. My
    primary concern is that it appears active development on VPP has ceased
    and I'd have to convince them to host it upstream, since we shouldn't be
    maintaining it in Cayenne.

    2) is where we're at right now. It's sort of a sucky position to be in,
    because I'd really like people to just be able to do everything with the
    plugin that could do in ant. However, even if we go this route, I think
    the plugin would still be an 80% solution.

    3) is what I'm guessing is the most reasonable option. Alas, my
    experience with Velocity is quite limited. As of right now, I'm still
    not 100% sure I understand what the VPP stuff is doing, since I've never
    had the need to use it in cgen. If we go this route, I'm likely going
    to need help.

    Thoughts?

    --
    Kevin Menard